银行场景中的词汇是很多考生不熟悉的,虽然雅思考试中涉及的银行专业词汇不多,但在剑桥雅思真题集1和剑桥雅思真题集6中也有相关的考题,所以建议考生们了解一些基本的银行用语,以备国外生存之用。
(以下红色标注**为必背词汇,考试中出现概率很高。绿色标注为*为重要词汇,建议记忆。其他词汇了解即可,文中的短语和句子都是从真题中摘选,请考生熟悉考题中的相关表达方式。)
本场景容易考到申请表application form**
申请人applicant**
填表格fill in the form*
(拓展记忆:申请一个职位apply for a position* )
很多留学生不熟悉当地银行的运作方式
Many of you are unfamiliar with the way banks work in this country,
这是最安全的处理方式
it's the safest places to keep your money
最好是在有名的银行中开帐户。
it's best to open an account** with one of the major banks.
银行会问你开账户的金额为多少
And how much would you like to open your account with?
每个银行的开账户时的最小额度minimum sum不同
要咨询一下汇率exchange rate** 和利率interest rate**
英国的几个比较有名的银行有Barclays 和 Lloyds。
然而,得清楚很重要一点是留学生不能享受到提供给当地学生的设施。
However, it's important to note that as an international student you'll not necessarily be eligible for all the facilities offered to resident students.
银行有不同的政策,他们提供给你的服务是取决于你的个人情况,同样也取决于银行经理的自行处理。
Banks have different policies and the services that they'll offer you will depend on your individual circumstances *and on the discretion of the bank manager involved.
当你去开帐户时,你应该带些文件在身边。
When you do go to open a (bank) account, you should take some documentation * with you.
注意:documentation指的是文件总称。
© 作为一个留学生,你需要提供证据证明自己能够支付费用,直到课程结束
as an international student,you will need to provide evidence** that you can fund/support yourself for however long your course lasts.
(拓展记忆:存款为funding)
© 除此之外,大多银行要求你带上你的护照和你的录取通知书
In addition to this, most banks ask you to bring your passport** and your letter or certificate of enrolment *.,
或者带着学校注册信 letter of registration *
其它证件:
护照大小照片 passport size photo**
驾照 driver's licence**
出生证明 birth certificate*
信用卡 credit card**
借记卡 debit card
(拓展记忆:凭卡办理存取款和消费结算,不能透支。Access to deposit,withdrawal, purchase, and payment, overdraft prohibited.)
雇主推荐 reference from your employer**
账单 bank statements**
银行会问你想多久收到一次账单?
How often would you like to receive statements?
有些人喜欢一周一次
Some people like them weekly.
有些人喜欢一个月一次 once a month
拓展记忆:两周一次once a fortnight
有些银行会问一些信息来验证你的身份,为了安全的原因。
Now we usually ask for a piece of information which we can use to check your identity*, for security** reasons.
最好提供父母的名字,这不太会被知道
It's less likely to be known.
还会问:
职业 occupation/profession**
出生日期 date of birth**
全名 full name**
名 first name 、given name**
中间名字 middle name
姓 surname/family name/last name**
过去地址 previous address*
目前地址 present/current address*
在目前地址居住时间 time at current address
每个人还应该带着填有名字和地址的宣传单
You should each have a handout *with the names and addresses...
在开帐户时,银行会给你一本支票簿,你可以用它在需要时取钱。
When you open the account, the bank will give you a chequebook /checkbook**
and you can use this to draw /withdraw**money out as you need it.
如果你要在商店里用支票,你会同时需要一张支票保付卡
If you need to write cheques** in shops, you'll also need a cheque card* .
拓展记忆:旅行支票 traveler's cheque*
这是一种认证卡(身份证),保证签出的支票能符合银行支票保付卡所对应能支付的额度
This is really an identity card** which guarantees that correctly written cheques up to the value stated on the card will be honoured by the bank.
如果你想提取现金你可以让支票以你的名义支付或者兑现。
If you want to draw out cash for yourself you can make the cheque payable in your own name or 'to cash'**.(兑现支票cash the cheque)
(拓展记忆:
§payable at sight见票即付
§payable on demand随到随付)
你可以用提款卡从取款机中提取现金
You can also withdraw cash from a cash point machine** with a cashcard*.
(提款机又叫做ATM=Automatic Teller Machine)
你也许想取出超过你银行额度的钱,这叫做透支。
You may want to take more money out ot the bank than you have in it.This is called having an overdraft**.
要当心,除非有银行允许,否则不能这么做。
Be very careful with this--you should not do this without permission** from your bank.
透支经常导致额外费用,虽然有些银行提供给某些学生免利息透支
Overdrafts usually incur charges,though some banks offer interest-free** overdrafts to some students.
对于银行转账bank transfer** ,
如果相互连接的银行可以直接转账
If we have links with them, we can do a direct transfer.
对于开放时间opening times:
伦敦和其他主要城市中大一点的分行在周六开放时间有限制。
Some of the bigger branches* in London and other major cities are now open for a limited time on Saturdays.
还可以申请其他银行业务bank service:
贷款loan**
保险insurance**
低风险投资 low-risk investment**
股票和基金 stocks and shares*
(拓展记忆:储蓄金 nest egg)
至今为止,最有用的帐户是活期账户
by far the most useful type of account to open is a current account**
你真正能拿到的帐户是学生帐户,其实它就是一个有特殊优惠的活期账户
you will actually get what is called a 'student account'** which is a current account with special concessions for students.
可能免手续费service charge*
如果你出了经济问题financial affairs,有了负债be in debt,如果你的信用卡被拒绝your credit card is declined,账户被冻结account is frozen
学校可能提供你助学金grants**,或者帮助你得到低息贷款low-interest loan**
其他重要的帐户为储蓄存款帐户savings account*, 定期帐户deposit account*
联名账户 joint account*
(联名账户持有者joint account holder*)
From: http://blog.hjenglish.com/playwang/articles/1212002.html